Serve and Love. Any coach’s wife can do that. It will look different for everyone.
Kayla talks with Anne Rulo, a coach’s wife and professional counselor and marriage and family therapist, about how to encourage mental wellness in our coaches and athletes. She shares so many great resources for us as coaching families so we can fight the stigma of mental illness and have programs who send out mentally healthy kids. This is one episode you can’t afford to miss.
Anne is an author, speaker, professional counselor, marriage and family therapist, and coach's wife. She and her husband Tim have two children. They have been a coaching family through a state championship run and very difficult losing seasons. They are passionate about encouraging coaching families both in and out of season through coaching marriage events, character and leadership training, and mental/emotional health education. Anne is also the author of two Bible Studies, Cultivating Joy and The God Blanket.
Key points mentioned in this episode:
- Serving and loving your team in the season of life you are in
- The gap of mental health in male athletics
- The importance of the coaching staff prioritizing mental health among themselves so they can walk athletes through it
- Things to watch for in kids to see they are struggling
- What is happening with teenagers and suicide
- Resources that coaches can use to educate themselves and their athletes
“When a dude in a masculine sport can say. ‘Hey. Quarterback. It’s okay to ask for help.’ Then I think we are saving kids left and right.”
Resources Anne Mentions:
- Mental Health First Aid
- Joe Ehrmann